5 Year Bible Reading Plan
Five year Bible reading plan as developed by Pastor Paul Hoogenraad.
Experience the insights and joy gained from reading the Word of God with this Bible reading plan that will walk you through the entire bible over a five year period from Genesis to Revelation.
To use the reading plan you can follow along through the plan as shown below or download your own copy in PDF format for study at home.
The Uniqueness of the 5 year Discipleship Reading Plan …
1. The Bible is the most important book in history because it is God’s Word and His disclosure of Himself to us. Through the Bible we get to know God and how we can live lives that are pleasing to Him.
2. One of the first changes to take place when a person is ‘born again’ is that they want to discover more about God and how to please Him. But where do you start?
3. Anyone who has an understanding of the Bible knows that it can be hard going trying to read the Bible from cover to cover.
4. However, we know the whole Bible is important because “ALL Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work” (2 Timothy 3:16?17).
5. There is a modern tendency to focus on the New Testament and overlook the value of the Old Testament. But when Jesus explained the gospel to His disciples after He rose from the dead He drew attention to the whole O.T. saying – “These are My words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things which are written about Me in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled. Then He opened their minds to understand the Scriptures” (Luke 24:44?45).
6. There are many formats for reading the Bible through in a year. This requires a lot of daily reading every single day and is difficult to digest and apply to your life in a meaningful way. Hence the 5 Year Discipleship Bible Reading Plan! The 5 Year Discipleship Bible Reading Plan covers the entire Bible in 5 years.
7. Reducing the length of the readings over 5 years lends itself to spending time on meditation, marking your Bible (if not electronic), and writing up notes and insights for sharing with others in an accountability group (see suggestions below).
8. Though the readings pretty much follow the sequence of the Bible (Acts follows the Gospels & Job follows the Books of Moses to even Bible readings), it does so by looking at a different portion of the 39 O.T. and 27 N.T. books of the Bible each week. Because of its relevance and teaching, more time is spent in reading the N.T.
9. So each week provides a variety of O.T. and N.T. readings from Monday through to Saturday. Sunday is a reading free day when you can spend time reviewing and meditating on what you have written and learned from the week’s Bible readings.
10. Why is it called a ‘DISCIPLESHIP’ Reading Plan? The 5 Year Discipleship Bible Reading Plan is a good guide for your discipleship group. This group will keep you accountable for your Bible readings and will help you share your Quiet Time blessings, and in turn be blessed by the insights from the others in your group.